Homeopathy has a good track record with treating the flu. Homeopathy developed its widespread popularity in the 19th century primarily because of the impressive successes it had in treating the deadly infectious epidemics of that time including typhoid, cholera, yellow fever, scarlet fever, and influenza. The 1918 Spanish flu represents the largest flu pandemic took an estimated 675,000 U.S. lives and killed 20 to 40 million people worldwide. At that time homeopathic hospitals still existed and also treated people. Dr. T.A. McCann from Dayton, Ohio at the American Institute of Homeopathy Annual Conference in 1921 reported that 24,000 cases of the flu were treated allopathically which had a mortality rate of 28.2 percent, while 26,000 cases of flu treated homeopathically had a mortality rate of only 1.05 percent. Other homeopathic doctors had similar reports.
Here is a basic first aid guide to the flu:
Immunization : Every year a new homeopathic remedy is made in France from the three most prominent strains of the flu from the year before. In effect it is the homeopathic version of the yearly flu vaccine. The usual protocol is to take 1 dose of the Influenzinum 9c once a week for 4 weeks, then one more dose a month later. We currently have this year’s Influenzinum 9c in stock
Symptomatic treatment. At the first sign of the onset of a cold or flu take one dose of oscillococcinum, which is widely available everywhere. In fact oscillococcinum, made from the liver of a duck, is the most popular homeopathic remedy worldwide which is a tribute to its effectiveness. Although some feel one dose is all that is needed we have found it more effective if taken twice a day throughout the illness.
The following remedies are also considered highly useful:
1. Aconite 30c This is usually prescribed when the onset is extremely sudden. Most useful in first 24 hours.
2. Gelsemium 30c (yellow jasmine) This was the most common remedy used in the 1918 pandemic.. It is most commonly prescribed when the symptom picture is that of great weakness s and fatigue. It can also be used after the flu when the patient feels that they haven’t returned to baseline.
3. Belladonna 30c is used when the symptom picture is that of a high fever and flushed red cheeks.
4. Arsenicum album 30c is most often used when there is severe vomiting and other GI symptoms.
5. Other useful remedies are Byronia (when the extremely irritable patient who feels any movement makes everything worse),Ferrum phosphicum (when there is no defining symptom), Ipecacuanha (vomiting), Rhus tox (feels better with movement) and Eupatorium perfoliatum (People with the flu who experience aches in the muscles and pains in the bones and/or in their eyes)
It is useful to have these remedies on hand for your own first aid kit, since no one wants to run out to the store when severe illness strikes. Give every other hour for the first two or three doses and then every six to eight hours until resolution of the condition. If significant improvement doesn’t occur after 24 hours, consider another remedy. If nothing improves in 24 hours reassess the symptoms and give another remedy. It is quite common to use at least two remedies during the course of the illness. You may also want to give your homeopathic physician a call.
Homeopathic Remedies Listed by the Mexican Doctors and Which They Successfully Employed Against the 2009 Mexican Flu
Aconitum napellus, Actea racemosa, Allium cepa, Ammonium phosphoricum, Antimonium tartaricum, Arnica montana, Arsenicum album, Baptisia tinctoria, Belladonna atropa, Bryonia alba, Camphora, Carbo vegetabilis, Carbolic acid, Causticum, Chamomilla, China officinalis, Drosera rotundifolia, Eupatorium perfoliatum, Euphrasia, Ferrum phosphoricum, Gelsemium sempervirens, Glonoinum, Hepatica triloba, Hyosciamus niger, Influenzinum (corresponding to the epidemic), Ipecauanha, Lachesis trigonocephalus, Lycopodium clavatum, Mercurius vivus, Natrum sulphuricum, Nux vomica, Opium, Phosphorus, Phytolacca decandra, Pulsatilla, Pyrogenium, Rhus toxicodendron, Sticta pulmonaria, Sepia officinalis, Sulphur.
Sandra Perko, The Homeopathic Treatment of Influenza: Surviving Influenza Epidemics and Pandemics Past, Present and Future with Homeopathy, Special Bird Flu Edition, 1999, 2005)
Homeopathic Self Care: The Quick & Easy Guide for the Whole Family by Dana Ullman
Homeopathic Remedies by Asa Hershoff (our favorite)
( artwork by Mary )
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.